• Chairman of the Board, SUN EXPRESS AIRLINES
• Visionary Leader ( CFO, Executive Director and Board Member)
Led the 650+ membered finance team of Turkish Airlines, large cap public company with $10.5bn rev. in 2015 ($2.3bn in 2006 when he started as the CFO) Headed and directed the turnaround of Sun Express Airlines ($1.2bn rev. in 2015)
• Business Strategist and Entrepreneur
• Awarded Most Successful CFO
“CFO of the Year in Europe 2012” award by CFO Insight Magazine
09/2017 – Since Board Member of Erciyas Holding Corp.
03/2006 – 07/2016 CFO, TURKISH AIRLINES (Istanbul)
Supervised the strategic and financial direction of the Company (5x P&L growth in 10 years)
– Developed proactive strategies to maintain company’s profitability and sustainability
– Prepared and monitored the annual budget, mid and long-term business plans of the group
– Generated scenario based financial and strategic business contingency plans
– Provided continuous feedback to revenue generating departments to ensure financial stability
Led the accounting, finance and procurement departments (650+ employees)
– Participated in the planning, acquisition and price negotiation of assets worth $35bn.
– Developed strategies to provide financing for 400+ aircraft, completed $15bn financing in 10 years
– Constructed strategic tax structures.
– Founded and led “Treasury and Risk Management Committee”
– Developed global cash management system (operating in 100+ countries and currencies)
– Ensured effective treasury management systems (Ave. $1bn of treasury managed)
– Constructed electronic procurement and expense management system worldwide through ERP.
– Supervised low cost sourcing policies and introduced processes for managing supplier performance.
Led the subsidiary company strategies and M&A processes.
– Actively participated in end-to-end establishment of the following JVs:
o Turkish Do&Co, in-flight catering company, co-owned by Do&Co. ($380mn rev. in 2015)
o Turkish Ground Services (TGS), ground handling, co-owned by Havas. ($260mn rev. in 2015)
o Turkish OPET, jet fuel services company, co-owned by OPET. ($1.8bn rev. in 2015)
– Established M&A strategies and evaluated opportunities by defining the “strategic fit”
Managed the investor and financer relations of the airline and the subsidiaries (8x Mcap growth in 10 years)
Transformed the reporting scheme and the culture of the airline.
– Formed the culture of reliance on reports for KPI tracking over valid, credible and concrete data.
– Integrated the reporting systematic to IT infrastructure.
Directed end to end implementation of technological transformation and IT upgrade of the airline
– Head the steering committee of the ERP project to completely renew the IT infrastructure.
– Directed the change management, transition and successful implementation and go-live.
– The project was nominated as one of the largest and “challenging” by SAP, the supplier.
03/2012 – 04/2015 Chairman of the Board, SUN EXPRESS AIRLINES (JV of Turkish Airlines and Lufthansa AG, Antalya) ($1.2 Bn P&L company operating flights to 106 destinations with 65 aircraft as of 2015YE)
Achieved major turnaround in order to transform the stagnant airline into a promising growth scheme
– Designed airline’s strategic and tactical decision making processes and business goals.
– Re-organized the structure of the airline to ascend competitiveness.
– Introduced an effective wet-lease operation over airline’s fleet for AnadoluJet, Turkish Airlines’ LCC.
– Turned the airline from a loss making entity into a promising carrier with stable and solid profitability.
– Implemented revolutionary fleet renewal, cost cutting, network and yield maximizing programs.
Established Sun Express Germany ( $350mn rev. in 2015)
– Established to diminish the impact of seasonality and thus ensured sustainable profitability.
– Introduced an effective wet-lease operation over the fleet for Eurowings, Lufthansa’s Longhaul LCC.
– Exercised seasonal short-term fleet exchange program with GOL to maximize seasonal revenue.
05/2006 – 03/2012 Member of the Board, TURKISH TECHNIC (100% Subsidiary of Turkish Airlines, Istanbul)
Participated in the creation, design and implementation of one of the region’s largest MRO facility (HABOM) at SAW Airport ($500mn investment)
Led the establishment of new engine overhaul center (TEC – 51%-49% joint venture with Pratt & Whitney)
Actively engaged in the acquisition of MNG Technic, in due diligence and negotiation processes.
09/2010 – 04/2015 Member of the Board, TURKISH OPET (JV of Turkish Airlines, Istanbul)
Founded and constructed Turkish OPET from the scratch. ($1.8bn P&L in 2015)
– Created business plan to serve both Turkish Airlines and third parties.
– Converted and transformed existing contractual obligations to the new entity.
– Actively managed the establishment of relevant technical infrastructure. (pipeline, storage etc.)
Transformed the organization into a profitable business model and reduced costs for Turkish Airlines
– Continuously monitored organizational performance, provided feedback to management team.
– Developed fuel procurement and audit system within a solid integrated supply chain direct from refinery.
11/2004 – 02/2006 Deputy General Manager and Board Member, TURKISH PENSION FUND (TPF) (Ankara)
Active management of TPF Treasury
Managed the privatization and operational administration of TPF’s Assets
– Handled contract negotiation with international operators (Swiss, Hilton and etc.) for TPF’s hotels.
– Managed the privatization process of the TPF hotel assets along with the operator contracts.
Developed nation-wide crosscheck auditing and payments systems of health and medicine payments.
01/2003 – 10/2004 Advisor to the Minister of Finance, MINISTRY OF FINANCE (Ankara)
Actively engaged in the routines of Privatization Administration Board
Delivering ad-hoc requests of the Minister
– Performed researches, benchmark studies and best practices for ad-hoc needs.
– Coordinated meetings with international investors encouraging Foreign Direct Investment.
10/1992 – 12/2002 Chief Tax Auditor, MINISTRY OF FINANCE (Ankara)
Advising to Minister of Finance for tax-related regulations and international tax treaties.
– Managing taxation and fraud related relationships with private sector representatives.
– Active participation to tax-council meetings to form transparent and comprehensive taxation law
– Worked in EU tax harmonization and compliance with Turkish Tax System
Auditing companies and organizations
– Reporting directly to the Minister, auditing on his behalf.
– Examining accounts, investigating fraud and negotiating tax settlements.
– Delivering first level, transparent, correct and valid expert advice concerning taxation.
2001 – 2002 UNIVERSITY OF ILLIONIS (Chicago, United States)
MA, Urbana Champaign College of Business, Finance (In Top 3 Finance MA programs in the world)
The study is granted and funded by Turkish Ministry of Finance.
1987 – 1991 ANKARA UNIVERSITY (Ankara, Turkey)
BA, Faculty of Political Science, Economics.
SELECTED AWARDS AND INNOVATIONS
Awards received by Turkish Airlines through my leadership and my team’s efforts:
– 2008 Jane’s Transport Finance – Aircraft Leasing Deal of The Year (Europe)
– 2008 Airline Journal – Deal of The Year (Europe)
– 2011 Jane’s Transport Finance – Aircraft Debt Deal of the Year (Europe)
– 2012 Air Finance Journal – Airline of the Year
– 2013 Air Finance Journal – Tax Lease Deal of the Year
– 2014 Bonds and Loans Awards – Structured Finance Deal of the Year (Turkey)
– 2015 Air Finance Journal – Tax Lease Deal of the Year
– 2015 Air Finance Journal – Engine Deal of the Year
– 2015 Bonds and Loans Awards – Trade & Export Finance Deal of the Year (Turkey)
– 2015 Global Transport Finance – EETC Deal of the Year (Europe)
– 2015 Airline Economics Aviation – 100 Awards – European Deal of the Year
– 2015 Airline Economics Aviation – 100 Awards – Editor’s Deal of the Year
– 2015 Air Finance Journal – Tax Lease Deal of the Year
– 2015 Air Finance Journal – Capital Markets Deal of the Year
Recognized innovations achieved with my leadership and my teams’ efforts:
– The first ever JPY denominated EETC
– The first ever ECA backed French Lease
– The first ever US Exim backed French Lease
– The first ever ECA backed JOLCO Lease
– The first ever US Exim backed JPY denominated Convertible Bond
– The first ever ECA Guaranteed Italian Tax Lease in Japanese Yen denomination
Born Jan. 1969
Languages: Turkish (Native), English (Fluent), Arabic (Basic Conversational)